For those of you who missed our meeting on January 24th, here are the big ideas – sorry it took so long!
1. We played around with a fun tech tool from the New Teacher Induction – Go to http://todaysmeet.com to create a virtual room for backchannel conversations during your lesson! This virtual classroom can be created and deleted within seconds and you pick how long you want it to exist.
2. Jared shared some of his work around the shared classroom. Check out this neat infographic about the implications of the flipped classroom.
Jared began working with this model last semester but plans to do his courses using the flipped classroom model this year. Jared identified a need for this type of instruction but encountered difficulty when encouraging students to access the information at home.
He has created his own website complete with instructional videos about the material in question. His website and lesson planning are tied to the outcomes of the course he is teaching. He connected this with his own “I CAN” statements to determine what material the students should be covering. Once Jared began creating these videos he followed the WSQ model for instructional purposes (watch – summarize – question). Further to that, Jared created google forms so that students can record their responses. Upon the course beginning each morning, the class access the google form together to respond, question, analyse. Jared also uses this as an exit slip to check for understanding.
For more information – check with Jared himself!
3. Follow up on online PD. The next PD day is April 26th. Perhaps as a group we could consider accessing some of the Fair Chance Learning webinars. The sessions for that date are Collaborative Teaching & Learning Environments Beyond the Classroom and Using Technology to Support Differentiated Teaching. It would be fantastic if we could get together and participate in these sessions as a group! Please let me know if you are interested.
4. IT Summit 2013 – Four members of our team have been approved to go and will bring back information to share with the group. May 6-7, 2013 in Saskatoon.
5. In house PD – Considering bringing in Joanna Sanders (or another candidate if there is interest). Monique will try to arrange the half day PD to support this.